Monday, December 7, 2009

Mila 18

I love books. All kinds. Well, most kinds. I just finished reading Mila 18 for the second time and it once again blew me away. It's about the Warsaw Ghetto in WWII where all the Jews and societal misfits were made to live during the war, until they were deported to death camps. Leon Uris does an incredible job creating real characters that you wish you knew, combined with historical events. People in the ghetto formed the Jewish Fighters, an underground (literally) militia that (according to the book) held off the German SS Troops for over 40 days! Somehow the first time around I missed that the Fighters were real and Uris based the book off of things that really happened. It is incredible to think of the passion and determination these people had to preserve their stories. I am currently in awe of what people will go through to do what they think is right. Because of my Moral Development class, I think I'm more aware of moral exemplars and I look for them all over. I hope I can always keep this mindset because it helps me look for and see the beauty in people.

This book is on my must-read list!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds really good. I'll have to read that sometime.

    ReplyDelete