Monday, September 7, 2009

Media. It's all over.

This semester I'm taking a fabulous class called Media, Family, and Human Development. We get to discuss how media effects us, our families, our relationships, etc. As one of our assignments we get to create a blog on the media in our lives. So that's basically what I'm going to be posting about from now on (not that I ended up posting anything on this blog previously).

Two facts I learned from yahoo.com today:
1. Space has a smell! And it's quite unique. Some astronaut said so. He said he would never forget it. Isn't that interesting how smells really can stay with you for such a long time. Every once in a while I'm taken back to some memory, such as making "perfume" with my friend Lindsey when we were 10 or some boy I liked in high school, just from some scent wafting by...I wonder what space smells like and if it has a taste.
2. Starlings are the most hated birds in America. Ok, confession time. I actually already knew that because Professor Black of my bird biology class made that very clear to us. He is one of the funniest teachers I've ever had. Some things I learned from Professor Black: "If you want boys to notice you, wear silk skirt", if you're a polydontia you can eat all the candy you want and it's ok because you're teeth will just fall out and be replaced all the time, "If you're in the back seat, you'll get pregnant. If you're a bear.", and much more!

Although I didn't learn anything of serious value today, I realized that media can make you think and help you make connections between different parts of your life. Connections help you build on ideas and develop deeper ways of thinking-and that is valuable. I guess like most things, sometimes media is just what you make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment