Monday, November 23, 2009

Clutter

This week I've really been thinking about how the world is SO LOUD and it's often hard to hear the Spirit over all the noise. We learn over and over that the Spirit whispers and is a still, small voice. The world is loud and we have to consciously work to hear the Spirit and put ourselves in situations where the Spirit can reach us. My roommate, Rachel, and I were talking about this and she made the comment that it seems like the world has gotten louder as time has gone on. I think this is in big part due to mass media. When in history have this many people been able to be reached this quickly with information? Because of mass media, the world can form more collective opinions and push its views on soooo many people, so often, and with such pressure.

What does this mean for us? It is imperative that we learn how the Spirit speaks and "sounds" to each of us personally, so that we can hear Him through the hubble and bubble. It is crucial that we take time (as much as we can) "off" from the world and be in places (physically and spiritually) where we are seeking His will through the Spirit.
This is how we can be happy. I know.





I'm grateful I can talk to sweet Rachel about these things. She pushes my thinking and helps me come to new insights.

Plus we went to China together!

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree and I loved the analogie that Elder Scott gave during last confrence about the grape and the pepper. We really do need to sort through the clutter so we can hear the Spirit!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that grape/pepper analogy too! It really made me understand that I need to be purposefully seeking out the spirit's first, subtle promptings and not allowing the media to constantly overpower the spirit's voice! I loved how he said that the two fruits of the spirit are a knowledge of what to do and also power to do it! The Lord is so gracious in providing us with what we need, we just need to reach out and take it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sally Wally!! Oh I love you. I just found your blog and this post!!!
    So lunch didn't really work out today...next week some time? Plus, I wanna hear all about Arizona. Love you too much.

    ReplyDelete