Monday, November 2, 2009

President Uchtdorf

The fireside last night was incredible. Pres. Uchtdorf touched on such different topics, but really got in depth into all of them. He gave me a lot to think about and I talked to a lot of people about it afterward. Good disscussions are one of my favorite things!
I watched the fireside with my cousins and afterwards we each made goals for the week. My cousins all made goals to get a girl's number or take a girl out this week. My goal is to smile at people more.
I feel like church leaders have been really getting on our generation to date, date, date! Five years ago, Pres. Oaks gave his infamous "no hanging out" fireside and since then I've heard that alot from other leaders. So what's the problem? We hear these great firesides, but are we actually changing our behavior? Do people go on more dates than they did five years ago? What is it that actually gets people to go out and "do"? We can listen all day long and agree with someone, but that doesn't always cause change. I guess for my part, I'm going to encourage my guy friends to take more girls on dates (casual, no pressure dates) and encourage my girl friends to be nice and approachable. Sometimes we make things harder than they are.

2 comments:

  1. I loved the fireside, as well. But I was thinking the exact same thing...the apostles have been counseling us for years to date and not hang out. Everybody knows the counsel. But are they actually following it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! This was definitely an AWESOME fireside! I totally agree, and know I need to step up my dating...multiple rejections a week will not get me down anymore. :D
    But thanks for talking to both your friends, as guys we can do more to be proactive, and girls can really help make it easier on us by giving us a chance too...we're not all that bad...all the time...hahaha. Thanks Sally!

    ReplyDelete