Sunday, November 15, 2009

Piano? Really?


My cousin Katie and I like jamming on the piano on Sunday nights, so when she heard of Grand Pianos Live (the piano version of Acoustic Guitar) she set up an audition. We played three great Beatles duets-Penny Lane, Eleanor Rigby, and Let it Be-and were accepted for the show. I found out it was a competition the day before, which kind of saddened me...I was just thinking that a night of eclectic piano performances for some people at BYU would be perfect. Anyway, we knew our piece wasn't of the competitive nature, but we also knew we would have a blast. Best cousins on the piano? Heck yes!
So we got all decked out in our British Flag shirts and were ready for a night of entertainment. The MC started out by telling the audience that this was the first strictly piano show of this sort at BYU. That sounded great. The first few pieces were great and all different from each other, which I loved, but then we had some people get up and play original compositions, which I respect, except that they sang along with them. I loved the singing. Great voices and great lyrics, but I didn't see how they were "strictly piano." I mean if Katie and I had added a drum set to our rendition of the Beatles, it would have been more of a crowd pleaser for sure, but then it wouldn't be a piano song. I thought this was about honoring the piano, but I guess I was wrong. One of the "singers" won. Beautiful voice, but she basically played chords along with it. I guess I was just excited to be part of a show that celebrates the piano and so that was disappointing. But I loved performing, as always!

2 comments:

  1. Blahhh!! I'm so jealous you can play the piano. Yall look super cute in your British Flag shirts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's cool you competed! And totally lame that a singer won. Definitely not honoring the piano...but maybe they'll either call it something different next year or eliminate the singers...who knows :) And I also think your shirts are super cute!

    ReplyDelete