Monday, October 5, 2009

Left to Tell


My favorite book I’ve read recently is Left to Tell by Immaculée Ilibagiza. This autobiography is about Immaculée’s experience in the Rwandan holocaust in the 1994. She hid in a bathroom with 7+ other women and children for three months while her family and most of the people she knew (who were of the Tootsie tribe) were murdered. While she was going through this, she clung to her beliefs, read the bible, and grew in her faith. Her story is beyond inspiring and her faith is definitely desirable.
I am so grateful that I got to read Left to Tell. I read it all in one day because I just couldn’t put it down; I needed to know what happened to sweet Immaculée. Outside of church books, I don’t think I’ve read anything so powerful and motivating. It was a hard read because of the atrocities that happened during this genocide, but it is so interesting to see the psychological and emotional sides of individuals who went through it. My mom and I were talking about Immaculée after we read the book and my mom was saying how she wishes Immaculée could have the gospel in her life, but that Immaculée’s faith and understanding of God is so powerful it seems like she wouldn’t even need the gospel. Of course she does, but we just agreed that we have so much to learn from her example and love. Immaculée is is definitely one of my heroes. She inspires me to be better, to act on what I know, and to have complete faith in God and Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment